Alaska commercial fishing news and notes
licensing, drug screens, all coming to a workplace near you
what about all the crack/heroin dealers and inexperienced crew? won't this hurt their demographic enough to justify maintaining the status quo?
ya its a real bummer when their saving your life too.....
ya its a real bummer when their saving your life too.....WELL SAID........USCG ROCKS
Always amazes me how many fisherman dislike the Coast Guard. But when that basket is lowered or they see a rescue diver swimming toward them attitudes tend to change. And no, the rescue crew wont take your offer for dinner and drinks. They have better things to do.
they really are the true professionals on the water, fishermen never had to rescue them, so that makes one wonder...why doesn't the USCG tighten up on the renegades?
if there sooo great,when they going to catch those draggers dumping millions of pounds of halibut and salmon overboard every winter!oh and by the way i do realize they are here to the benifit of the fishing and recreational communities,because we pay the bill fool!!!
cause it's legal to dump all that halibut, salmon, crab and small cod, pollock etc..... don't blame the CGall thanks to the lobbyist run NPFMC
and where does NPFMC get their information from? Trawl Lobbyists.They make excuses for why draggers only take observers to certain locations. Their main excuses are safety of the observers and ... can't think of any other valid excuse one could use for making a 30 minute set before and after midnight and then heading in with two observer days.If the GPS location and catch volume of the observed days-at-sea were compared to the days of unobserved fishing we would know exactly where the majority of the 100 million pounds of missing Halibut went. Until there is transparency regarding where the majority of the volume of fish is being caught and where the observed days are taking place this waste will continue to occur at rates much higher than what is extrapolated through the %30 observer coverage. Simple explanation: Boats are taking observers to areas with low Halibut and other PSC by-catch and fulfilling their required 30% observed days. During the other 70% fishing days they go out and fish where ever the largest volume of target species and allowable by-catch can be harvested, regardless of catches of Halibut, Tanners, and Salmon. These catches of Prohibited species find their way to the shit-shoot and are underreported in logbook entries. Overages of allowable by-catch such as Cod, Pollock, Rockfish, Skates, also find their way to the shit-shoot. Discard of Cod, like on the East-coast, goes unreported when overfishing occurs. What implications do you think this has for the future of the resource? -Annoyingnous
Post a Comment