Tim Sands, area biologist with the Department of Fish and Game in Dillingham, kindly provided Deckboss with final numbers from the Togiak sac roe herring fishery, which closed for the season on Monday.
• The total harvest was large at 21,594 tons, but fell short of the preseason quota of more than 29,000 tons.
• The purse seine fleet took its full allocation with a harvest of 20,374 tons, including an estimated 500 tons of deadloss.
• The gillnet fleet took 1,220 tons, or only 14 percent of its allocation.
• As for fishing effort, 16 seine boats and six gillnet boats took part in the fishery.
• Four processing companies showed up to buy herring: Icicle, North Pacific, Silver Bay and Trident.
Sitka troller charged with two violations
3 weeks ago