Here's a few more update items on the Pathfinder, the tug that sustained major damage Wednesday after hitting Bligh Reef in Prince William Sound:
• The Pathfinder is expected to arrive in Valdez around 10 p.m. tonight, having been taken under tow at 2 p.m. off Busby Island, the state Department of Environmental Conservation said.
• About 36,000 gallons of mixed diesel and water were removed from the tug's damaged fuel tanks, the DEC said.
• At least six commercial fishing vessels helped with operations to skim what diesel managed to escape the tug, the U.S. Coast Guard said.
• Still no word from investigators or Crowley Maritime Corp., operator of the Pathfinder, on why the tug crew hit a navigational hazard as notorious as Bligh Reef.
• The tug's master and second mate have been relieved of duty pending further investigation, said Crowley, based in Jacksonville, Fla.
Crab captain charged at Dutch Harbor
2 weeks ago